We propose a tour of Modica with our licensed local guide who will tell you the glorious story of the ancient Modica County, defined both as “the island in the island” and “the city with a hundred churches”, because of the numerous churches of the city. Bring your camera and wear comfortable shoes to admire not only St George’s Cathedral with its 180 steps and the ancient Castle of Counts, but also cave dwellings and rocky churches. Join us on a quest to discover historic palaces, baroque bas-reliefs, friezes, mascarons and the intense scent of Modica chocolate.
Where: Modica - Ragusa
When: All the year
Duration: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Meals: Lunch not included
Mon - Tue - Wed - Thu - Fri - Sat - Sun
Individuals, groups, couples
Italian - English - French
Itinerary schedule and general information:
- Our licensed tourist guide will stay with you throughout the tour.
- After the welcoming of the group, we shall reach St George’s Cathedral on foot. The building in question is an emblematic example of late baroque architecture. In the inside, the church hosts a polyptych dating back to the 1500s, a working sundial and the largest church organ in town. It is also possible to visit the belfry.
- Subsequently, we shall visit the Castle of Counts, the ancient residence of governors. In the inside, restored after the earthquake that took place in 1693, we can see the caves that were used as prisons and visit the governor’s patio from where we shall enjoy a wonderful panoramic view of the city.
- As we go down to the low end of Modica, we shall stop at the residence of Quasimodo, the notorious poet. His house, with intact furniture, pictures and the poet’s personal belongings, is now a museum open to the public. All visitors have the thrilling opportunity to listen to his poems recited aloud by the poet’s recorded voice.
- We shall also visit the rocky quarter with its “clothed grottoes”, namely cave dwellings and the rocky church of St Nicolò, a cave with frescoes dating back to the 1100s, 1300s and 1500s.
- The tour concludes with a visit to St Peter’s Cathedral, which hosts a statue by Civiletti. We will end the tour by tasting Modica chocolate and other local, typical products.
All services that are not included in the "Included" list are not covered by the price.
It is possible to make the reservation by email. Book at least 24 hours before.
No special clothing recommended